Popular Posts

Monday, February 7, 2011

I know not what the future holds, but I know who holds the future. ~Author Unknown


I never thought this day would come, when the homework load finally lighted, the stress of getting into college is no more, and my fellow seniors are all finally enjoying themselves after 7 semesters of hard work. As happy and rewarding as being a second semester senior is though, I can’t help but think of how sad I will be when high school comes to an end.

Looking Ahead…


There are many things that will change in a few short months from now. First of all, I will be a freshman at a University, getting an incredible education and playing basketball. With this change in location I expect to grow a lot as a young adult both academically and socially. For one, there is a certain comfort level that I have in my high school; knowing where everything is, knowing the majority of my peers and teachers, and knowing what classes to take, make for a relatively stress free experience. This sense of security will not exist at my new school. As a freshman in high school I had the guiding help of my junior sister, but my coming time as a freshman won’t be as nurturing. I will be sad to abandon my status as senior in a few months, but I feel ready to accept my title as a college student, even if it is as a freshman. Another big change in my life will be the absence of parents. I am used to having my parents present in all aspects of my life, and it will be odd to not be living with them. As I think about the responsibility that comes with being a college student, I am glad I have had so many positive role models in my life and have been exposed to experiences where I have had to be accountable and think for myself. College will be the beginning of a new chapter in my life, and I am interested to see how I will change and grow once I start classes next August.

Will I be Prepared?

All my thoughts about college have reminded me of one of my first posts, The Other Side of Learning. In this post I talked about how learning math, science, reading and writing are just half of the curriculum you learn throughout your time in school. Some of the things I mentioned learning were, communication skills (with peers and adults), problem solving, study skills, listening, articulating ideas, time management, and creative thinking. (To see the full list, follow this link). More than ever, I think these skills that I have developed since preschool will be ever necessary in the college environment. If an incoming college student is lacking in any of these areas, their transition into college will not be smooth, and they will be less likely to succeed.

I wonder what my life will be like in college. I am looking forward to being a member of the basketball team, and I hope to rush a sorority. I can’t wait to meet people from all around the world, and look forward to sitting in my first college class.

To my readers…

How was the transition from high school to college for you? What was the least expected thing that happened to you? What was the scariest part of the transition? What would you recommend doing in order to make the transition as seamless as possible? If you are in my position and are still a high school student, what are you feeling as the Fall is rapidly approaching? I would love to hear your opinions about this topic!

Until next time…

Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment